leftCCE Division HomeCCE Division Degree ProgramsCCE Division FacultyCCE Division Facilities and ResourcesCCE Division Searchright
HomeHistoryFaculty & ResearchSeminarsGraduate ProgramUndergraduate ProgramCareersContactsLinks

ChE Frequently Asked Questions
ChE Option | Courses | FAQs | Schedule | Undergraduate Laboratory | Important Links | Undergraduate Program Home

Where do I go with questions concerning the curriculum?

  1. Several of the more common questions are listed on this page (see right) with answers.
  2. There are advisors for each of the tracks:




    Process Systems

  3. See your advisor.


See ChE Option and Courses for more on course design, curriculum and requirements. See Schedule for details on a typical course schedule including sample tracks and a template. If you are attending high school, or have graduated from high school but have never enrolled at a college or university as a degree-seeking student, apply as a freshman.

Common Questions

Q1. What happens if I do not take ChE 10 my freshman year? ChE 10 is not required. It is a way to give you exposure to the discipline.

Q2. Does Ch 3b fulfill both the frosh lab and ChE lab requirements? Yes.

Q3. Can Ch 4a be substituted for Ch 3b? No.

Q4. Can Ec 11, BEM 101 and BEM 103 be taken pass/fail? No.

Q5. Does Ec11 fulfill both introductory social science and ChE requirements? Yes. Also see Q4.

Q6. Can science/engineering electives in all tracks be taken pass/fail? No. However, see Q4 regarding Ec 11, BEM 101 and BEM 103.

Q7. Can the track-specific electives, e.g., bioengineering electives in the biomolecular track, be taken pass/fail? No.

Q8. Can ChE 90 be performed with faculty outside of chemical engineering? Yes.

Q9. Can ChE 80 be used to fulfill a science/engineering elective? Yes.

Q10. How do I find an advisor? Contact the Option Representative or Executive Officer.


©2009 California Institute of Technology. All Rights Reserved.

California Institute of Technology California Institute of Technology